skip to Main Content

The Upper Arlington Fire Division provides paramedic care with advanced life support capabilities. All medic trucks are staffed with at least two paramedics and all fire apparatus have at least one paramedic at all times. This model provides residents with rapid response to requests for EMS even when the medic units are already on other calls. It is common to see a fire truck respond to EMS calls either in advance of a medic unit or in conjunction with a medic unit.

The Medical Advisory Board was established in 1974 to provide on-going professional supervision, training, and support to UAFD’s emergency medical program. The seven member board is comprised of Emergency Department physicians, pediatricians, cardiologists and trauma specialists. The board regularly reviews the EMS protocol, assists with the training of paramedics and basic EMTs, and performs quality control evaluations of the performance of the UAFD medic companies.





Like most communities nationwide, the Fire Division bills for Emergency Medical Service (EMS) transports, since private insurance and Medicare policies contain provisions for treatment and transport by an emergency medical provider. The funds generated provide an effective long-term means to defray some of the costs involved with Fire Division operations.

If you or a family member is provided with emergency medical services that result in transportation to a local hospital, a bill for the transport will be sent to your insurance company, Medicare, or Medicaid. There is never a situation where service must be paid for on the day it is rendered.

Patient care will not be compromised by this program and you should never be afraid to call 9-1-1 for help when you need it. The fire departments in Franklin County will never refuse to render treatment or to transport to a medical facility due to inability to pay or lack of insurance.

EMS services should always be used in times of medical emergency; especially when a patient is alone and not in a condition to drive to a medical facility. EMS providers deliver patients to medical facilities rapidly and safely, while initiating medical treatment.

Following an EMS transport, bills are sent to the insurance company of the patient. Patients only see a request for information in the mail if the record of insurance is not on file and cannot be obtained by the EMS crew (e.g. the patient was unconscious). Patients may receive a “signature letter” to sign and return following transport to a medical facility. This is not a bill, and to assist in processing the insurance payment, you are asked to sign and return the letter promptly.

UA residents should also be aware that if Upper Arlington medic units are occupied with other EMS calls, medical care would be provided via another fire department. In such situations, the insurance reimbursement regulations require that non-residents of the entity providing the service be billed for the co-pay required by their insurance company.


We are always looking for innovative ways to bring the best care possible to our community and are proud to offer CARES—Community Assistance, Referrals and Education Services. CARES focuses on education, injury prevention and building community partnerships to help improve residents lives. CARES is a paramedicine program that provides community-based healthcare, with our paramedics functioning outside their customary emergency response roles to educate and assist residents in health care issues, and developing useful collaborations with area providers.

If you are interested in supporting CARES, you can donate to the Upper Arlington Fire Division’s CARES Fund. Complete the contact form below if you would like to donate.

To learn more or to schedule one of the services listed below, contact us at 614-583-5352 or If you are a resident or area health organization that sees an opportunity for partnering with the Fire Division to expand public health in Upper Arlington, we want to hear from you—please complete the contact form below.


Riding a bicycle is a great way for children to have fun and stay active however, the potential risks of riding without a helmet can be life altering—a helmet can reduce the risk of brain injury by up to 88%. The division has a limited number of bicycle helmets available to help minimize the risk of head injury when accidents happen. A CARES team member can properly fit the helmet to each child.


Residents may stop by either fire station to have their blood pressure taken. We recommend that you call ahead, at 614-583-5100, to make sure staff is available.


Nine out of 10 car seats have some installation issue that could result in a child not surviving a crash. Car seat safety checks make it possible to assist parents with installation and problem car seats, ensuring that children are safe for every car ride.

According to Safe Kids Worldwide, there are several things a parent or caregiver can do (other than using appropriate infant and toddler seats) to help ensure the safety of children aged four-eight years:

  • Use the harnessed car seat until the child is at least 40 pounds
  • Use a booster seat for children 40 pounds to 80-100 pounds and 4’9″ in height. Continue to use the booster seat until the safety belt fits properly on the shoulder and hips
  • Require that all children sit in the back seat until they are 13 years old
  • Make sure everyone in the vehicle is wearing a safety belt or is in a proper restraint every time on every trip

Tips on how to test if your child is appropriate for safety belt use alone:

  • Have the child sit on the vehicle seat with his/her back and bottom against the seat back
  • Check to see if knees bend at the vehicle’s seat edge and if feet touch the floor (optimal)
  • Fasten safety belt across hip and shoulders. Check that the lap belt stays on the hips and the shoulder belt lies on the collarbone or shoulder
  • The child should be able to maintain that position for the entire ride

If any of these items cannot be done, a booster seat is the way to go. This information is important not only in the daily transportation of children, but also for field trips and carpooling.

To have your car seat inspected, please call 614-583-5100 to schedule an appointment.


CARES is uniquely positioned to support partnerships with local healthcare providers to create coordinated home care support for our most vulnerable residents. CARES goals are to prevent unnecessary hospitalizations, facilitate healthcare navigation and increase connection to community resources.


Nationally more than 350,000 people have cardiac arrests in the U.S. every year. More than 85% occur in the home with a survival rate of just 12-15%. However, statistics show that if more people knew CPR more lives could be saved. Immediate CPR can double or even triple a victim’s chance of survival. Through our Community CPR training program—which is offered bi-monthly—residents can attain certification in CPR and learn how to use an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED). Upon completion of the class, students will be American Heart Association certified in Heartsaver CPR/AED for a two year period. This includes techniques for resuscitation of adults, children and infants.

Registration for the Heartsaver course is coordinated through the City’s Parks & Recreation Department. You can register online (link below), by phone at 614-583-5300 or in-person at the Parks & Recreation desk at the Municipal Services Center, 3600 Tremont Road, Upper Arlington, OH 43221.

The registration fee is $35.00 per person and an optional training manual is available for $3.00. Class size is limited to 12 people and participants must be at least 10 years of age. All classes are held at Fire Station 72, 3861 Reed Road, Upper Arlington, OH 43220. Parking is available adjacent to the firehouse. Students should access the building via the public entrance on Lytham Road.

For additional CPR course options and pricing, please contact Firefighter/Paramedic Mindy Gabriel or at 614-583-5352. We have just the right class for your needs whether you wanted to learn the basics of CPR in the privacy of your home with our Street by Street program or you are a healthcare provider needing to be certified for your work place.


Being a new parent can be nerve racking. This program offers at home evaluation and classes to give parents peace of mind. This includes: friends & family CPR, safe sleep evaluations and child safety seat checks. We also offer quarterly drive-thru car seat events where experts check each seat and offer education on how to keep your baby the safest while driving. Don’t want to wait till the next child seat safety check event? No worries contact CARES and schedule an individual appointment.


CARES team members will conduct a confidential non-emergency medical evaluation and education in your own home, helping residents stay safe in their homes and reducing the need for future emergency medical care. The patient or family members can request these appointments.


Developing methods and innovating techniques are continuously providing better care for individuals with special needs. The Special Needs Registry is designed to help minimize the impact of injuries, illness or emergencies experienced by members of our community with special needs. The Special Needs Registry is voluntary, free-of-charge and adaptable to each individual’s need.

At a family’s invitation, members of the CARES team will make a home visit to gather information about the needs of the individual, to perform a basic home safety inspection and to collaborate with the family on how to prepare for possible emergency situations. The information gathered by the team – all confidential – will then be used to educate our Fire Division personnel, so that they know how they can provide the best possible level of care to individuals on the registry should they experience an emergency situation. To make sure emergency responders are aware they are going to a home with an individual on the Special Needs Registry, the registry is tied into the Fire Division’s mobile computers via our dispatching team at the Northwest Regional Emergency Communications Center.

To find out more about the Special Needs Registry, contact Firefighter/Paramedic Dave Wisner at or 614-583-5352.


The Fire Division has partnered with National Church Residences since April 2009 in a service coordinator program that helps keep older adults and residents with disabilities safely in their homes.

STAY UA bridges the gap between services offered by the Fire Division’s emergency medical service and available services in the community. Every year, the program helps link numerous members of the community with resources and services they did not know were available, resulting in immediate, cost effective improvements to their quality of life and the ability to remain in their homes. Connecting residents to the appropriate support services could help prevent future emergency situations.

To contact STAY UA, call 614-583-5114 or email


27Jul 18

EMS Distinguished Service Award

Anyone who has had need of emergency help from the members of our Fire Division knows first-hand of their professional, caring and dedicated approach to providing assistance when we need…

read more
07May 18

NRECC Receives National Certification

Last fall, Fire Chief Lyn Nofziger and Police Chief Tracy Hahn provided a positive update to City Council on the transition of our in-house 911/dispatching center to the Northwest Regional…

read more


Solid Waste (10)

Open burning of any yard waste such as brush or leaves is prohibited in the City of Upper Arlington. Yard waste disposal questions should be directed to the Public Service Department, at 614-583-5350 or visit our Solid Waste Services section. For any outdoor burning concerns, call 614-583-5100.

The Police Division has a Drug Take Back Box located in the Municipal Services Center. Visit the Police Division section of our website or call 614-583-5150 with questions.

The Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO) has a year-round drop-off facility for household hazardous wastes. SWACO also schedules annual household hazardous waste collection days at local communities. Visit

No, all fees included on your utility invoice (stormwater, solid waste, neighborhood lighting utility—if applicable) run with the property and the City does not prorate the amount due should a property change hands during the year. The individual/party that owns the property in question when the utility bill is received is responsible for payment in full.We recommend that you discuss balancing your utility account through your realtor and escrow closing, similar to how property taxes are pro-rated.

No, it is a utility fee just like your water or electric bills, and is therefore not tax deductible.

Refuse and recycling collection are typically delayed by one day on/after the holiday in question, with no Friday yard waste collection.

Yard waste is picked up on your regular refuse and recycling collection day. Click the link below for more details on Yard Waste Collection. Alternatively, residents may drop off acceptable yard waste free-of-charge at the Bill Holbrook Regional Composting Facility, which is operated by Ohio Mulch and is located at 4120 Roberts Road. The facility is closed on most City holidays.

The Public Services Division at the City can help to answer any questions regarding trash or recycling services. Their office can be reached via the phone number: 614-583-5350. Republic collects trash and recycling. Their phone number is 614-583-5370.

Load More


I am interested in: (check all that apply - required)
Station 71 TourStation 72 TourSpeaker RequestBirthday PartyHome DemolitionRequest Fire ReportHome Assessment/InspectionBurn PermitSmoke AlarmRequest Medic ReportC.A.R.E.S. ServiceCPR & AED TrainingSpecial Needs RegistryOther (Describe Below)

Back To Top