skip to Main Content

The Public Works Division manages a number of the City’s vital services that keep motorists traveling safely within our community throughout the seasons. These functions may include: routine roadway repairs, minor curb repairs, street markings, wheelchair ramp repairs/replacements, street signage repair/creation, snow removal, leaf collection and storm damage clean up.

Another major component of the Public Works Division is the maintenance of sanitary sewer system, stormwater system and potable water systems. Additionally, this department manages the provision of solid waste services to the community.












18Jul 18

Tips on Dealing with Rodents

From time to time, we receive a wave of calls about particular wildlife issues. As our Code Compliance Officer investigates these complaints, more often than not he’s finds that the…

read more
16Jul 18

Mosquito Spraying Scheduled in UA

The City has been notified by Franklin County Public Health that mosquito spraying will occur in the south Upper Arlington area (generally south of Fishinger Road), during the overnight hours of Thursday,…

read more

The Fats, Oils & Grease (FOG) Reduction Program was implemented by the City of Upper Arlington Public Service Department in order to monitor and reduce the amount of FOG that enters the City’s sanitary sewer system. The FOG program works to prevent sanitary sewer overflows (SSO), sewage spills, and sewer back-ups.

Each fall, the City of Upper Arlington provides curbside leaf collection services, typically between mid-October and early December, to assist residents with the disposal of leaves. This program is one of the City’s signature services and, as a result, staff in the Public Works Division is dedicated solely to this task throughout the duration of the program. On average, crews collect about 20,000 cubic yards of leaves each season from the City’s 346 lane miles of roadway. In addition to the abundance of trees on private property, there are over 17,000 trees in the City right-of-way.

Each year, the City takes an integrated approach to controlling the mosquito population. The combined efforts of the City, the UA Board of Health, Franklin County Public Health (FCPH) and residents are key to reducing populations. FCPH focuses on taking action in areas with a high incidence of mosquitoes testing positive for diseases such as West Nile Virus (WNV) and Encephalitis. It is hoped these efforts can break the disease cycle.


The Public Works Division is responsible for the oversight of general annual roadway maintenance, to keep our roadways clean and in good working condition. Responsibilities include: pothole repair, crack sealing, street painting and street signs.

The Public Works Division of the Public Service Department is dedicated to providing quality and professional research, investigation and repair of the community’s sanitary sewer, stormwater and potable water systems in the most efficient manner possible. The Sanitary Sewer System conveys all potable water from homes and businesses to the Jackson Pike plant for treatment prior to being discharged into the Scioto River. The Storm Sewer System conveys rain water from roof tops and roadways directly to streams that discharge into the Scioto and Olentangy rivers without treatment. The Water Distribution System conveys potable water provided by the City of Columbus from the Dublin Road and Morse Road plants to the homes and businesses of Upper Arlington.

The City of Upper Arlington provides one of the best snow removal services in Central Ohio with the aim of returning normal driving conditions to all City streets within 24 hours of the end of a snowstorm. For operational purposes, a higher level of service and priority designation will be given first to arterial streets, then collector streets and finally residential streets. Arterials are the main thoroughfares in the City; collectors are the secondary streets as they carry traffic to the arterials.

The City’s Solid Waste Program is provided by Local Waste Services. It provides a simplified approach with a standard fee for service, billed twice a year. Trash, recycling, yard waste and bulk items are all collected as part of this fee. Local Waste provides all households with grey trash and blue recycling containers on wheels with lids. If a container becomes damaged or goes missing, in most instances it will be repaired or replaced at no charge. The trucks used by Local Waste are energy-efficient, CNG vehicles, reducing their environmental impact on our community.

Our Public Works Division has partnered with a contractor to complete a comprehensive street sweeping process in late spring/early summer. This process is part of the department’s overall efforts to keep Upper Arlington streets clean of sediment, leaves and other impediments to safe traffic and to keep debris out of the storm sewers, which lead directly to our waterways.


Public Works (16)

Open burning of any yard waste such as brush or leaves is prohibited in the City of Upper Arlington. Yard waste disposal questions should be directed to the Public Service Department, at 614-583-5350 or visit our Solid Waste Services section. For any outdoor burning concerns, call 614-583-5100.

Options include installing a rain garden or hiring a contractor to install a small yard drain in the area where the water ponds and pipe it out to the street.

For homes built on slabs, the line will likely froze where the pipe enters the home. For homes with basements, the line into the home likely froze where it passes through concrete block into the home.

Insulate pipes where freezing is likely to occur. If this is not possible, periodically turn on your water and let it run for several seconds, purchase a space heater to place in front of the pipes or purchase a heating coil that can be plugged in and wrapped around the pipes to keep them warm.

Try using a hair dryer and blowing warm air down onto frozen sections or into the opening of the block wall where the water line enters the home.

The City provides free leaf collection each year between mid-October and early December. Click on the link below for full details, and what to do when the program is not in effect.

Category: Public Works

The benefits are not site specific. Run-off from your property combines with that from other lots, accumulating to become part of the problem downstream. Benefits are gained throughout the City by minimizing the flooding of roads, intersections, and downstream properties.

Shelter houses can be reserved through the Parks & Recreation Department, at 614-583-5300. Some divisions at this facility work on a different schedule, and oftentimes Staff is working out in the community. Visit our Places page for details on City building address, maps & directions, phone numbers and hours of operation.

Refuse and recycling collection are typically delayed by one day on/after the holiday in question, with no Friday yard waste collection.

Call the Utility Division during office hours of Monday-Friday, 7 am -3:30 pm. If you have an after-hours emergency, please call 583-5410. Sewer overflows and backups negatively impact the environment if waste materials enter the storm sewers or water table.

Pour several gallons of water in all basement floor drains, run water in any unused sinks and shower stalls, and flush any unused toilets. These fixtures should have built in traps (“U” shaped pipes), designed to hold water and act as a barrier to prevent sewer gases from entering the home.

Yard waste is picked up on your regular refuse and recycling collection day. Click the link below for more details on Yard Waste Collection. Alternatively, residents may drop off acceptable yard waste free-of-charge at the Bill Holbrook Regional Composting Facility, which is operated by Ohio Mulch and is located at 4120 Roberts Road. The facility is closed on most City holidays.

The Public Services Division at the City can help to answer any questions regarding trash or recycling services. Their office can be reached via the phone number: 614-583-5350. Republic collects trash and recycling. Their phone number is 614-583-5370.

The City of Columbus provides water service to all UA residents and businesses. If you experience flooding or suspect a water main break, call the City of Upper Arlington Utility Division at 614-583-5385 during regular business hours. A member of staff will visit the site to determine the nature of the problem, and contact the City of Columbus on your behalf. If you have an after hours emergency, contact the City of Columbus at 614-645-7788.

Storm sewers drain directly to streams which empty into the Scioto or Olentangy rivers, therefore chemicals are not filtered out before reaching natural waterways.

The stormwater fee is used to repair and maintain the City’s existing stormwater system. It is not designed to make improvements on private property.

Load More


Back To Top