skip to Main Content

The City’s Solid Waste Program is provided by Local Waste Services. It provides a simplified approach with a standard fee for service, billed twice a year. Trash, recycling, yard waste and bulk items are all collected as part of this fee. Local Waste provides all households with grey trash and blue recycling containers on wheels with lids. If a container becomes damaged or goes missing, in most instances it will be repaired or replaced at no charge. The trucks used by Local Waste are energy-efficient, CNG vehicles, reducing their environmental impact on our community.


The City is divided into four zones for the collection of solid waste. Collection days are determined by the location of your home:

  • Mondays– areas south of Canterbury Road/west of Tremont Road and all areas south of Lane Avenue
  • Tuesdays– all areas north of Canterbury Road, south of Fishinger Road and west of Tremont Road
  • Wednesdays– all areas north of Lane Avenue and east of Tremont Road/Reed Road
  • Thursdays– all areas north of Fishinger Road and west of Reed Road

Place all items for disposal at the curb between 6 pm the night before and 7 am on the day of your regularly scheduled collection day. Keep trash and recycling containers at least three feet apart from other items to provide easy access for the collection equipment. Containers must be removed from the curb by 7 am of the day following collection.

Holiday Collection Delays

Local Waste observes some but not all of the City’s holidays each year. These holidays delay collection by one day, with normal service resuming the following week (if the holiday falls on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, there is no collection delay):

  • New Year’s Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day

Missed Collection?

Submit a Service Request:
Call: 614-583-5370
By Email:


The trash and recycling containers provided by Local Waste are the property of Local Waste. Please do not write your address or any other markings on these containers. If you do wish to place some identifier on your container, write on some tape and affix the tape to the inside of the container lid. In most instances any lost or damaged trash or recycling containers will be repaired or replaced by Local Waste. Call 614-583-5370 to report the issue and request a repair or replacement.

If you wish to dispose of old trash and recycling containers, Local Waste will take them. Either place old containers inside your new trash container, or affix a sheet that says “Take Me” and place at the curb. An alternative to disposing of old containers is to use them for yard waste. Yard waste decals are available at City buildings and library locations.

Container Placement

Place trash items in your grey trash container (loose or bagged) with the lid opening facing toward the street. If you have additional items that cannot fit into the container from Local Waste, place them in a secondary, lidded container clearly marked as “trash,” and bring to the curb.

Place accepted recyclables loose (do not bag) in your blue recycling container and wheel to the curb with the lid facing toward the street. Recyclables are taken to the Rumpke Recycling Facility, and accepted items are determined by Rumpke, not Local Waste. If you have additional recyclables, place them into a secondary, lidded container clearly marked as “recycling,” and bring to the curb.

Information and drop-off locations regarding proper disposal of Household Hazardous Waste, such as fluorescent light bulbs, lawn chemicals and old gasoline, can be found on SWACO’s web page (

Live Christmas trees are collected on your regular collection day during the month of January. Remove all decorations and lights and place at the curb by 7 am. Do not place live trees in plastic bags or other forms of wrapping.

Residents who are physically unable to bring trash and recycling containers to the curb can qualify for at-the-door collection for no additional charge if they are a person with a disability that limits or impairs the ability to walk as defined by R.C. 4503.44(A)(1). Medical Exemption Service customers are required to re-qualify for this service annually.

The Drug Collection Unit is available 8 am-5 pm, Monday – Friday at the Upper Arlington Police Help Desk, 3600 Tremont Road. Drugs can be dropped off with no questions asked.

Accepted items: Any pills, liquids, inhalers, or ointments that are prescribed

Non-accepted items: Thermometers, Needles (sharps), Medication/medical waste from businesses or clinics, any over-the-counter medication

For additional information and resources visit

Households are required to keep trash and recycling containers out of view from the street—in a garage, shed, screened behind a fence or landscaping, etc.—except when putting them at the curb the night before or by 7 am on the morning of collection. Remove containers from the curb by 7 am of the day following collection.

Please give full consideration to how you dispose of materials that could cause a health or safety risk to Solid Waste crews. Contaminated objects that can penetrate the skin are considered “sharp” objects by the Occupational Safety And Health Administration regulations governing blood borne pathogens. These items include lancets, hypodermic needles, syringes, scalpel blades and non-household glass articles that have been broken.

In the case of an individual using sharps for the purpose of in-home care or treatment, these items may be disposed of as part of the City’s Solid Waste Program, as long as they are packaged into a rigid container clearly marked as “Sharp Waste” prior to disposal into your trash container. Acceptable containers include liquid detergent and bleach bottles, two liter pop bottles and coffee cans. These containers should be securely sealed with heavy tape. Your cooperation in keeping the work environment as safe as possible for Solid Waste crews is appreciated.

Additional information and resources may be found at Columbus Public Health.

Place yard waste in approved biodegradable yard waste bags, bundles or trash containers clearly marked as “Yard Waste,” and place at the curb by 7 am on your regular collection day. Plastic bags or yard waste mixed with trash are NOT accepted. “Yard Waste” decals are available at the Municipal Services Center, 3600 Tremont Road and at UA libraries.

Ohio Mulch Facility, 4120 Roberts Road, Columbus
UA Residents may drop off accepted yard waste item free-of-charge at the Regional Composting Facility, operated by Ohio Mulch. You may be asked to provide proof of UA residency to qualify for free drop-off for items larger than 1/4” in diameter, per the City’s arrangement with Ohio Mulch.

Swaco Banner

The amount of waste created by Central Ohio residents and businesses is staggering. In fact, every resident generates an average of four or five pounds of waste each day. With only so much landfill space available, it’s more important than ever that we reuse, recycle, compost or divert as much as we can.

It’s not only important to recycle, it’s important to Recycle Right.

By only recycling materials that are accepted at the recycling facility, your recycling efforts will make more of an impact. SWACO’s “RECYCLE RIGHT” campaign makes proper recycling easy by providing a comprehensive list of what should and should not go in your recycling container. For more information about “RECYCLE RIGHT,” visit

For SWACO’s comprehensive list of resources that accept metals, furniture, electronics, plastics and other items that you need to recycle, please visit


Glass Bottles & Jars
Metal Cans
Plastic Bottles & Jugs
Keep Item Loose
CartonsGlass Bottles & JarsMetal CansPlastic Bottles & JugsKeep Item Loose
  • Cartons: Please rinse and remove lids.
  • Glass Bottles & Jars: All colors of glass are accepted.
  • Metal Cans: Labels are accepted. Remove aerosol tips.
  • Plastic Bottles & Jugs: Lids and labels accepted. No cups or tubs.
  • Paper & Cardboard: Break down and flatten cardboard boxes.
  • Keep items loose. Don’t bag items.

Not Accepted

No Tanglers
No Tanglers
Not Accepted Recycle Glass
Not Accepted Recycling Papers
Plastic Bags
Not Accepted Recycle Metals
Plastic And Foam Containers
No TanglersNot Accepted Recycle GlassNot Accepted Recycling PapersPlastic BagsCupsNot Accepted Recycle MetalsPlastic And Foam Containers
  • NO Tanglers: Hoses, wires, chains, clothing or electronics
  • NO Specialty Glass: window glass, glass shower doors, glassware or light bulbs
  • NO Specialty Paper: egg cartons, paper plates, napkins or old books (consider donating)
  • NO Plastic Bags: These may be returned to retail stores.
  • NO Cups: Coffee, yogurt or party
  • NO Metals: car parts, nails, screws, pots and pans or bedframes
  • NO Plastic or Foam Containers

Bulk items, such as furniture, appliances and other qualifying larger items are collected as part of this program. Place items at the curb by 7 am on your regular collection day.


Accepted Large Appliance
Accepted Large Appliance
Accepted Large Furniture
Accepted Small Appliance
Accepted Small Furniture
Accepted Large ApplianceAccepted Large FurnitureAccepted Small ApplianceAccepted Small Furniture
  • Large Appliances: Ovens, range-tops, stoves, refrigerators, freezers*, washers, dryers, water heaters, water softeners, dishwashers, heaters (room), grills**
  • Large Furniture: Sofas, love-seats, mattresses, box springs***, bathroom vanities, drawers, hutches, large table (over 4ft), picnic, ping-pong tables, hide-a-beds, bicycles
  • Small Appliances: Air conditioners (window units*), humidifiers, dehumidifiers*, microwave, toasters
  • Small Furniture: Headboards, chairs (not stuffed), carpets (up to 5ft), wood pallets, small tables (up to 4ft)

*Items containing freon are NOT accepted curbside. Call Local Waste services to have freon removed.
**Propane tanks are NOT accepted curbside.
***Mattresses need to be wrapped in plastic for bulk pick-up.

Not Accepted

Not Accepted Construction Debris
Not Accepted Construction Debris
Not Accepted EWaste
Not Accepted Car Parts
Not Accepted Mowers
Not Accepted Construction DebrisNot Accepted EWasteNot Accepted Car PartsNot Accepted Mowers
  • NO Construction Debris: Metal awnings, railings, bath tubs, shower stalls, sinks, toilets, pipes, other plumbing materials, cabiners (metal or wood), garage, sliding doors, exterior/interior doors, window frames, countertops
  • NO eWaste: Televisions, computer monitors, CPU towers, printers
  • NO Car Parts: Tires, rims, bumpers, fenders, doors, hoods
  • NO Other: Household hazardous waste*, tractors, mowers

*Visit for household hazardous waste details.


The following outlines the fees associated with the City’s Solid Waste Program. Please see the table below for a more detailed breakdown.

Annual Fee

All households are charged a base fee of $213 annually, plus administrative and community recycling fees of $7 apiece, for a total of $227. The fee runs January 1 through December 31 each year and may be subject to nominal annual adjustments. Households are billed twice a year (January & June) via a Utility bill from the City that includes the Solid Waste fee, the Stormwater Utility fee and, in some cases a Neighborhood Lighting Utility fee. This fee applies to every household – single family homes, apartments and condominiums. The fee runs with the property and the City will not prorate the amount due should the property change hands during the year. This annual fee is all inclusive, i.e. trash, recycling, yard waste and bulk items are all collected by Local Waste at no additional charge.

Senior Discount

Homeowners who are the head of the household in question and aged 60 years or above can qualify to receive a discount on their Solid Waste base fee each year. PLEASE NOTE: owners of multiple-unit rental apartments do not qualify for the Senior Discount. The Senior Discount is only applicable for the Solid Waste base fee. It will not be applied to Premium Service or to the City’s administrative and community recycling fees. Homeowners that qualify for the Senior Discount must reapply annually. Proof of age must be provided by December 15 of each prior service year. Residents who have recently turned 60 years of age can qualify for this discount at any time, however, it will not be applied retroactively—the first discount will be reflected on your next semi-annual invoice.

Premium Service

Premium, at-the-door service for trash and recycling collection is available to households for an additional $387 per year. Yard waste and bulk items must still be brought to the curb. The Premium Service fee is in addition to the base fee of $213 for Solid Waste Services and the administrative and community recycling fees of $7 apiece. The fee runs January 1 through December 31 each year.


Senior Discount
Senior Discount
Base Fee$106.50$213$96$192
Community Recycling Fee$3.50$7$3.50$7
Administrative Fee$3.50$7$3.50$7

Regular Total





Premium Service Fee$193.50$387$193.50$387

Premium Total






EMS (17)

No. Mutual aid is recognized as an important mechanism for assuring comprehensive and responsive fire and medical emergency assistance to citizens of all Franklin County communities. Community leaders and fire chiefs of these communities have agreed that mutual aid will not be affected in any way.

Category: EMS

Yes, both private and government health insurance plans include provisions for EMS transportation.

Category: EMS

No. Once gathered, patient information would be forwarded to a third party billing agency contracted by the City and specializing in EMS billing. The patient’s insurance company or Medicare would be billed for the run. Recent changes in rules set by the Department of Health and Human Services enables government entities to only invoice the patient’s insurance company or Medicare, and does not require them to bill those who cannot pay or are indigent. They may also waive the coinsurance fee for their residents rather than adopt a “hard billing” policy that would result in invoicing the patient for the balance and taking a proactive collection stance.

Category: EMS

The Police Division has a Drug Take Back Box located in the Municipal Services Center. Visit the Police Division section of our website or call 614-583-5150 with questions.

No. All calls for help are answered in the same manner, regardless of insurance coverage or ability to pay.

Category: EMS

Health care costs will rise regardless of whether a community bills for EMS transports. The primary factors influencing such increases are prescription drug coverage, medical litigation, technology in medicine and depressed investment company returns. Most private insurance and Medicare policies already have provisions in place for treatment and transport by an emergency medical provider. Billing for EMS transports allows the City to recover some of its operating costs through existing insurance monies.

Category: EMS

The City offers a Community CPR training program, certified Heartsaver CPR/AED, through LifeLong Learning & Leisure with the Parks & Recreation Department – Activity Registration at 614-583-5333. For the basics of CPR or healthcare provider courses, please contact Firefighter/Paramedic Mindy Gabriel at
614-583-5352 or

Categories: EMS, Parks & Recreation

Contact the EMS Office at 614-583-5100.

Category: EMS

Residents may stop by any fire station to have their blood pressure taken. It is recommended to call the Fire Division at 614-583-5100 before you arrive to verify if staff is available.

Category: EMS

The Fire Division averages 2,000 EMS transports per year (residents and non-residents). Based on these numbers and the rate-of-return seen by municipalities with similar demographics, the City conservatively anticipates an annual return of $400,000.

Category: EMS

The funds raised are set aside to support fire and emergency medical services provided by the Upper Arlington Fire Division. This includes the support of facilities maintenance and upgrades and the purchase of fire and EMS equipment and vehicles when needed.

Category: EMS
  • Transport claims will be submitted to Medicaid/Medicare/private insurance as before.
  • Non-residents will receive up to three bills for any balance not paid by Medicare/Medicaid/private insurance, or the entire amount if they do not have insurance.
Category: EMS
  • Upper Arlington residents will not be billed for a transport or for any outstanding balance on a claim, even if they do not have insurance.
  • Residents may receive a letter requesting or verifying insurance information if it had not been obtained in full at the time of the EMS transport.
  • Some private insurance companies may submit payment to the patient when it should be sent to the City. If this occurs and the patient has not forwarded the check to the City, he/she will receive a letter from the City requesting reimbursement.
  • In some cases whereby an EMS transport is provided by another jurisdiction through mutual aid, the policy of that responding agency will apply, therefore Upper Arlington residents may receive a bill for any balance due on the claim.
Category: EMS

Appropriate treatment is rendered according to the injury or illness. Transportation to a medical facility is sometimes but not always required. If the patient’s condition warrants it, the medic unit provides this service.

Category: EMS

If the patient is in a condition to do so, he/she is asked for medical insurance information and a signature, as typically happens when being admitted to a hospital. If this practice might interfere with patient care, it is delayed or a relative is asked to provide the appropriate information. EMS reporting software currently used by Upper Arlington already collects most of the required information, and can be expanded to capture insurance information.

Category: EMS

Responding to a call for help remains the top priority, regardless of an individual’s medical insurance situation and ability to pay. Upper Arlington residents will not receive a bill for the transport or any outstanding balance, even if they do not have insurance. While non-residents will receive a bill for any outstanding balance not covered by insurance or the full amount due, the City will work with low-income individuals who do not have insurance as such cases arise.

Category: EMS

All calls to 9-1-1 in Upper Arlington go to the Northwest Regional Emergency Communications Center. Dispatchers immediately send the closest available unit that has the required equipment and personnel. This may be a medic unit, fire truck or a combination of the two. Typically these are Upper Arlington units however, if all Upper Arlington units are busy with other emergencies, units from other communities in Franklin County are called upon to respond, thanks to mutual aid agreements that assure quick emergency service.

Category: EMS

Load More


Back To Top