Upper Arlington knows how to put on an Independence Day celebration like none other. Who needs Red, White, and Boom when the Upper Arlington Civic Association (UACA) plans a party to remember right in our own backyard?
With this year’s events expanded in recognition of Upper Arlington’s Centennial Year, the list of folks deserving of our thanks is larger than in typical years. While there are too many to name individually, the following community members rise to the top of the list:
- Event Chairs Angie and Brent Theaker
- Parade Chairs Jim and Anne Stair
- Float Chairs Stacy and Brandon McIntire
- Judging Chairs Sam and Sandi Porter
- Fireworks coordinator Bill Hall
- UACA President Steve Blunk
It’s amazing to think that when these “Fourth of July” couples first take on the role of Judging Chairs, they are committing to a four-year cycle of increasing responsibilities, ending as Chairs for the entire day. UA is fortunate to have residents willing to undertake the planning and logistics involved in enriching our community in this way.
We also have City employees who are indispensable in the day’s events:
- Police Division—security, traffic
- Fire Division—safety, fireworks, first aid
- Parks & Forestry—assist with event setup and breakdown
- Public Works—placement of barricades, banners and signage
- Electrical—power and lighting assistance
- Community Affairs—event liaison, Centennial unveiling logistics
As you enjoy what will certainly be a fantastic celebration, give our City workers and UACA volunteers a word of thanks.