skip to Main Content

What is the difference between a grease interceptor and a grease trap?

Grease traps are boxes located within the section of the drainage system that flows between the sinks in the kitchen and the sewer system. The most common grease traps are smaller, point-of-use units used under three-compartment sinks in the kitchen or adjacent to dishwashers. Grease traps can also be referred to as “hydro-mechanical interceptors.”

Grease interceptors are often located outside the establishment in large, in-ground tanks. Grease interceptors can also be referred to as “gravity interceptors.”

Most establishments will have both – a grease trap and a grease interceptor – but some will only have one or the other. If you have both, you are required to report the maintenance on each one separately.

Comment on this FAQ

Back To Top